By Mark M. Jarzombek,Vikramaditya Prakash
"Because of its particularly broad viewpoint, even architectural historians who don't educate common survey classes are inclined to get pleasure from and get pleasure from it."
"Not in basic terms does A international background of Architecture personal the territory (of international architecture), it pulls off this audacious job with panache, intelligence, and—for the main part—grace."
—Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians
Revised and updated—the compelling historical past of the world's nice architectural achievements
Organized alongside an international timeline, A international heritage of structure, moment Edition has been up to date and revised all through to mirror present scholarship. Spanning from 3,500 b.c.e. to the current, this specific advisor is written through an all-star workforce of architectural specialists of their fields who emphasize the connections, contrasts, and affects of architectural activities all through historical past. The architectural heritage of the realm involves lifestyles via a unified framework for studying and realizing structure, supplemented through wealthy drawings from the well known Frank Ching, in addition to significant photos. This new moment Edition:
- Delivers extra assurance of non-Western components, really Africa, South Asia, South East Asia, and Pre-Columbian America
- Is thoroughly re-designed with full-color illustrations throughout
- Incorporates extra drawings by way of Professor Ching, together with new maps with additional information and color
- Meets the necessities set by way of the nationwide Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) for "non-Western" structure in historical past education.
- Offers new connections to a better half website, together with Google EarthTM coordinates for ease of discovering sites.
Architecture and paintings fanatics will locate A worldwide background of structure, moment Edition without end at their fingertips.
Read or Download A Global History of Architecture PDF
Similar architecture books
This significant paintings, now to be had in paperback, from Professor Geoffrey Broadbent, offers a transparent research of the character of a lot of brand new layout difficulties, making a choice on their factors in historical past and suggesting a foundation for co-ordinated recommendations. the writer discusses `picturesque' and `formal' traits in sleek structure, referring to them to parallels among philosophic suggestion and layout idea during the a long time.
This e-book extends the concept that of British vernacular structure past its conventional base of pre-modern household and business structure to include different constructions comparable to locations of worship, villas, hospitals, suburban semis and post-war mass housing. attractive with wider problems with social and cultural heritage, this ebook is of use to an individual with an curiosity in architectural historical past.
This accomplished learn of Gothic structure lines the distinctively appealing parts of Gothic sort during the medieval church buildings of Europe. amassed from a unprecedented two-volume Victorian vintage, over seven hundred meticulously rendered info and illustrations demonstrate each complicated element of Western culture's most opulent ecclesiastical constructions, together with London's Westminster Abbey Church.
Grading Hardwood used to be written to aid pros and employees within the bushes realize and comprehend the importance of alternative normal defects present in hardwood. The publication seems at what's integrated in AS2082 and importantly what's no longer incorporated. The e-book comprises many pictures to demonstrate issues being made and in addition comprises case histories.
- Lake Tahoe’s Rustic Architecture (Images of America)
- Historic Homes of Florida
- Urbanismo Sustentável: Desenho Urbano Com a Natureza (Portuguese Edition)
- Romanesque Architecture and its Sculptural Decoration in Christian Spain, 1000-1120: Exploring Frontiers and Defining Identities
Extra info for A Global History of Architecture
A Global History of Architecture by Mark M. Jarzombek,Vikramaditya Prakash